Study Abroad "Survival" Part 1- Fitting Your Life Into 50 Pounds

4:06 PM

If only this were the case...


Thank God for the internet- how did anyone prepare to study abroad without it? With a quick google search, you can find other students' blogs from almost any country and program, and entire websites dedicated to helping students get ready to spend a semester (or more!) abroad.

I certainly used these resources in the weeks leading up to my semester in Galway. I learned a lot from other students' experiences, and picked up some good tips and do's and don'ts about packing for an extended period of time. That being said, nothing is perfect, and over the past three and a half months, I've learned what items I can't live without while studying abroad. Some of these are specific to Ireland- but most apply to anyone studying abroad.

A good coat (with a hood!):
It rains in Ireland, that's no secret. However, it's not always full-on storming, huddle under your umbrella rain. It drizzles, it showers, and it's almost always cold while it's raining, so a typical raincoat isn't the best. I'm pretty sure that nearly everyone who lives anywhere with a winter owns a coat similar to this- and it works. I wear mine almost every day, and it's much more convenient to be warm enough, and have the option of throwing on my hood when rain pops up. As a bonus, I feel a lot more put together, and don't immediately stick out as a tourist in rain gear!

Adapters (and possibly converters):
Electrical plug adapters are a bit of a no-brainer for any packing list. But if you're spending an extended period abroad, you'll want a bunch- probably one for each device you intend on plugging in. They're inexpensive, and easy to find online- I bought a multipack on Amazon, and they just happened to be purple, even better ;) I have one in my bag, one in my desk drawer, I leave one on my laptop charger...  you get the picture :)

Converters are where things get a little more tricky- devices that actually adjust the voltage of your device so it can be used abroad. Most American electronics run on 110 volts, while European sockets run on 220 volts. You can also buy adapter/converter combos, one less piece to think about. However, you might not need one- really. I realized this while doing my study abroad shopping. I switched to a Macbook Air last year, and I also use an iPhone. These both have built in converters, only requiring the appropriate adapter. (This seems to be pretty common amongst current laptops and cell phones, but it's worth double checking!) My hairdryer happens to be dual voltage, also only requiring an adapter. I bought an Ireland/UK appropriate hair straightener once I arrived- I'd heard too many horror stories of straighteners melting even with a converter to risk that one!

Good boots:


Okay, here's one of my packing mistake- knowing it would be cold and rainy for most of my time here, I assumed I would wear my rain boots a lot. At home, everyone wears them. Here, not so much... when I arrived, I was helpfully informed by my new apartment-mates that no one actually wears "wellies" casually here... they're considered appropriate for walking in a muddy field. Apparently, when you do see someone out and about wearing rain boots, it's a bit of a giveaway that they're an American visitor. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with sticking out as a foreigner, but since I'm actually living here for the semester, I prefer to (try!) and blend in a bit!

(And yes, I did go through the trouble of finding a way to pack my rain boots. Yes, they're usually in my room unused. Live and learn!)

So, just like fall and winter at home, I live in my riding boots here. They handle the rain, are comfortable for walking around town, and go with everything. Students here never seem to let the cold, wet weather or constant threat of sudden rain stop them from wearing cute shoes- something that I'm learning is common across much of Europe. Obviously, packing lots of shoes into your 50 pound luggage allowance isn't practical- but do pack good, comfortable shoes and boots that can be worn with anything, and at least one pair of nicer shoes! 

The right bags:


School bag- I'm completely predictable when it comes to my school bag- I love my Longchamp Le Pliage bag. It holds everything, can handle a bit of Irish rain, and it's packable when I take it on a trip. I also carried mine on my flight over as my "personal item".

Small suitcase/weekend bag- If you're studying abroad, particularly in Europe, you'll most likely have the opportunity to travel in your free time. I've made it to Prague for a weekend so far, and some of my friends have made it as far as Greece and Morocco. Budget airlines love to charge extra for checked baggage, so pick a bag that can easily be brought on the plane with you. I have a small spinner suitcase I used as a carry on for my flight over, but a few of my friends I've travelled with use duffel bags, which work just as well, and are even more lightweight!

Small backpack, crossbody, or tote bag- Don't lose track of your stuff! I feel much more secure when I know my important travel documents are zipped away, and having a secure, hands-free bag makes airport security and exploring new cities just a little easier. 

And last but not least, little things I'm glad I brought:

  • Pictures and other (small) decorations for my desk- To make my Irish student apartment a little more of a temporary home away from home.
  • My own linens from home- One less thing I had to purchase upon arrival, and another little piece of home
  • Peanut butter- Do I need to explain this one? :)
  • Aspirin- I have migraines, and I've yet to find regular aspirin tablets here, only the effervescent  kind! 
For more awesome study abroad packing advice, click over to one of my favorite travel and study abroad blogs- History in High Heels!

I hope this helped relieve any packing anxiety! I'll be back soon with part two of this series, and pictures from one of my favorite places I've visited so far- Prague!

XOXO,
Emily






You Might Also Like

0 comments