Ahoj, Prague!

2:35 PM

Prague has been on my list of places to visit for a while. Ever since finishing my European politics course last Spring, I've wanted to learn more about Central Europe and the Balkan region. And of course, it's just plain beautiful! Prague is a quick 2.5 hours from Dublin, so I tagged along with a friend from two of my classes in Galway, who is also studying abroad.


My first full view of Prague, from the top of Old Town City Hall. Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral are in the back, all the way at the top of the hill.

Regretting the fact that I left my sunglasses in Galway- actual sun!

My friend who I traveled with had previously used WSA Tours, a company that specializes in organizing trips for students studying abroad in Europe. I was a little hesitant about going on a scheduled tour, thinking of but it was the right choice, and not like the type of tour I had feared- our group ended up only being four of us, and our guide, Adi, lives in Prague. It definitely felt more like being shown around by a friend than a traditional tourist-type trip! If you're studying abroad in Europe, I definitely recommend checking out WSA. 


Of course, I was excited to explore Prague's pastel-colored streets. It's hard to find a building in the city that isn't beautiful to look at, and it's obvious why so many movies and TV shows have been filmed here! 
Just one of the multitude of building pictures I took that weekend! 

I couldn't help taking pictures of random buildings we passed each day, and daydreaming (wishing, maybe!) a bit about living in any particular one. There's one particular street that I found especially beautiful... Pařížská Street. 


I think at this point, I turned to my friend and, half-jokingly, said I'd found my dream house.

....Then our guide casually mentioned that Pařížská Street is the most expensive street in Prague.

...Yeah. I also spotted Burberry, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, and more.

So maybe that's why I liked it so much? Whoops! ;)

Prague's famous Charles bridge

Vinárna Čertovka, the narrowest street in Prague. At about 50 centimeters wide, you might call this an alley, but it's designated as an actual street, and has traffic lights to keep you from running into someone coming the other way, or getting stuck!

The John Lennon Wall, where graffiti is legal. And yes, with all the art, quotes, and Beatles lyrics around me, all I could think of was my name. Inspiring, I know ;)

My first trdelnik in the Old Town Square.

...Notice I said first trdelnik.

So many trdelnik, so little time...


Another treat for me to miss when I go home!

On Saturday afternoon, we made it to the top of the hill, home to Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, and some of the best views in the city...


The United States Embassy is perched on the side of the hill, overlooking the city. Adding this to my list of embassies to work in, obviously! :)



I always think that if you have to lean your head all the way back to see something, it must be amazing. St. Vitus' certainly didn't disappoint!!



Messy hair and all, this picture reminds me of one of the many reasons I love Europe, academically and culturally. Standing there, I was a mere 2.5 hours away from Ireland. The distance? Not huge. The difference in culture, architecture, language, and tradition? Very much present! Within each little corner of this continent, there's something new to discover, and I can't wait to see more of it! (And the rest of the world, of course! ;)

Okay, I've had my little emotional moment. Thank you Prague, for taking a little piece of my heart.


Highlights from this trip:
- Getting lost our first night, and getting a nice nighttime tour of the city in the process ;)
- Trying authentic Czech food, including fried cheese. Just as great as it sounds!
- Prague's beautiful buildings, even prettier than expected.
- Navigating a new metro system, in a new language.
- And of course, adding a new country to my "visited" list!

Coming soon:
-I couldn't go home without visiting Paris again, and I was lucky enough to spend my birthday there! Highlights of my last big trip of the semester. 

Until then,

XOXO Emily 











You Might Also Like

0 comments