All Will Be Well

5:23 PM

(Apparently, you have to actually put words onto the page to keep updating a blog, who knew? But I'm back!)

A few days ago, I posted this picture on Instagram:

My second time voting in a presidential election, for a candidate whom I honestly thought represented the United States well, and had the experience and ability to be president- as well as becoming the first woman to do so.

We all know how the election turned out, and I don't really like dragging too much politics into my blog-world. However, these past few days have made me think about a lot of things- my country, my career, and yes, my possible future daughter.

Over the past year, I've had the privilege of living abroad, traveling, and meeting people from all over the world. Getting to talk to people from different countries and cultures was one of my favorite parts of studying abroad, and it remains one of my favorite aspects of studying international affairs. Of course, everyone joked about whatever crazy event was happening in the American election, and I don't blame them- regardless of your political views, it's been a long ride.

But through any jokes about typical American stereotypes or discussion of whatever happened to be going on in the US at the time, no one ever asked me if I agreed with the things being said by one particular candidate. No one assumed I hated immigrants, or Muslims, or people of different backgrounds than me. That just wasn't their immediate impression of Americans.

And I don't want it to be.

With this recent turn of events, my biggest fear is that my country will quickly become associated with the comments and actions of the person recently elected to become president, and his supporters.  As I enter a career that will (hopefully!) allow me to visit many more new places and meet new people, I don't want them to think of intolerance and threats as soon as I mention I'm American. I want to represent a country that has been a symbol of hope for generations, a melting pot of cultures and new ideas, not a country ruled by fear. Yes, our country has its problems, as does most of the world- but I want those problems to continue to get better, not worse.

Frankly, the title of this post is misleading. I'm mature enough to recognize my privilege. Yes, I'm a woman, but I'm also white, Catholic, straight, and have a college education. My family is solidly upper-middle class, and I've grown up in suburban Maryland. I don't get to say that everything will be fine. I cannot imagine what is being felt by those who have been in the run up to this election, and I won't face the same obstacles as many other Americans.

I don't know what the next four years will hold, and yes, I will freely admit that I'm scared, particularly after what has already been witnessed across the country since Tuesday. However, I do believe there is still plenty of good in the world, and for right now, I'm going to try to do my part, however small, to spread that good.

Be kind, be helpful, and if you choose your right to protest, please be peaceful, and please be safe.

And of course: Good Things That Have Happened in 2016

XOXO, Emily

Instagram Tumblr


You Might Also Like

0 comments