Fear, Excitement, and Nerves

12:00 AM

Source: Eduroam


This time last year, I was one month into my internship at the UK Mission to the United Nations (more about that here!) Spending every day in and around the UN and suddenly being thrown into giving in New York left me a little shellshocked, but I was incredibly fortunate to meet a great group of friends, many of whom were in similar situations as me, and I had a great time living in the city and of course, had a great start to my first year post-undergrad!

When I was in college, and shortly afterwards, I had every intention of postponing grad school by a few years to gain experience, not to mention the whole process of preparing for, researching, and applying to grad programs!

Sounds good in theory, right? But not as simple to put into practice- job hunting in my field with only a bachelor's degree is rough, and while I was still in New York, my intern director really encouraged me to think about grad school sooner rather than later. So in November, I attended an open house at George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs, which has always been one of my top choices of grad programs. I obsessed over my personal statements, resume, and recommendations, never really having full confidence in my potential to be accepted to such a tough program.

The beginning of March rolled around, and I the long-awaited "your admissions decisions are ready!" email popped into my inbox, pretty much stopping my heart momentarily in the process...





.....That happened!

To be honest, I'm still in disbelief three weeks later, and I don't think I've ever felt so terrified, excited, and nervous at the same time!!!

Still to be done? Actually picking which program I think will be best, before I can make Foggy Bottom my home this Fall ;)

 Source: Pinterest

A huge thank you to everyone who helped me review my application materials, answered my endless grad school questions, or just offered me some reassurance while I (inevitably) overthought all of this!

XOXO, Emily

Follow me on:
Instagram Twitter Tumblr


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Woohoo! Congrats!!

    - Katina, lostandfoundinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete