NYC Update

2:40 PM

Long time no see, and happy Spring! As it turns out blogging while also working full time and figuring out life in the city is a lot to fit in- who would've thought? ;)

Nevertheless, I have lots to share. Enjoy a little summary of the past month or so...

Life Lately:



My aunt and cousins came up for a very busy, but of course very fun weekend. We enjoyed the view of the city from the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building, as well as visiting The Met and Central Park Zoo... and enjoying Shake Shack, lots of coffee, and Levain's cookies... thank you for feeding me enough for a week, Jennifer!





I also loved playing tour guide at the UN and showing my family some of the places I have the privilege of working and learning from. Also confirmed on this tour? The fact that I'm on my way to being the short cousin- That's my nearly 18-year-old cousin next to me, and I'm over 5'9", and wearing boots!

Showing my 5-year-old cousin how UN Peacekeeping Operations work 😂

Brunching like it's our job with the best New York friends I could ask for...


...And celebrating my birthday being spoiled by those same lovely people



 Work Lately:
I'm still so thankful for the opportunity to work in both a diplomatic Mission and the UN. Every day I learn something new from my colleagues, and I still get a thrill out of walking through the delegate's entrance at the UN, and swiping my ID to enter the staff-only floor. But as of late, I've also been dealing with self-doubt.
My view of the UN Security Council during a vote on chemical weapons use and the humanitarian crisis in Syria. A very intense, and very sad, few hours, but nonetheless something I'm glad to have learned from.

Maybe my recent self-doubt is from the realization that in less than a month, I'll have finished my internship and will be in that awkward job-searching space between student and professional. Maybe it's because I always tend to go into minor life-crisis mode around my birthday. Maybe it's because I've always been, and likely always will be, very self-critical, and don't quite feel like I belong here yet......

Work has been quieter recently, which gives me way too much time to think- job hunting, adulthood, grad school, getting into grad school, ahhh! My amazing intern mentor tells me to stop rushing myself, that life will wait for me. Be the confident Emily, who earned her place here, and is self-assured in whatever she does....

....I'm not sure I've found that Emily yet ;) But in the meantime, I'm enjoying everything this opportunity has to offer me, spending time with amazing people, and working hard at my intro version of my dream job!

Loving Lately:



  • Work dresses! My Mom tells me that eventually, I'll appreciate a nice pair of office-appropriate pants. I tell her that I love dresses, and they're just too easy to pass up. My blazers are at work if needed. Dress. Tights. Shoes. Cardigan. Done :) This simple shift dress I picked this one up on a whim at H&M, and also bought this dress and this skirt while home for Easter. Perfect for Spring- and easily within the budget of a recent graduate living in New York- ack!
  • Skincare upgrade- I've tried several different moisturizers, but recently tried out this one by Lancome, and so far I love it. My skin is dry in some areas, but also sensitive, and this particular moisturizer handles both of these, and isn't greasy in the slightest.
  • Sandal season! As much as I love my sweater tights and boots, I'm excited to break out some Spring shoes- I may or may not be trying to figure out a way to wear my new Jack Rogers (similar to these) and still look professional enough for a diplomatic environment... might not happen ;)
  • Bingeworthy TV- Continuing my habit of starting popular shows after they've already aired, I'm finally giving This Is Us a try, and I might be hooked- I've seen some spoilers, but so far I've loved every episode.
  • Book recommendations! When I was younger, I used to read constantly, and I miss that! Comment below what you're reading, or just longtime favorites!
I hope you've enjoyed this extremely random update of the past month or so- for more of my everyday post-grad adventures, follow me on:


XOXO,
Emily

You Might Also Like

0 comments