Giving Blogging a Try.... And Month One in Galway!

5:25 PM

Despite any shyness or seemingly unending periods of awkwardness in my life, it certainly can't be said that I've ever lacked enough to say. And, as an internet-loving college student, I've certainly read lots of blogs, covering everything from fashion to current events and TV show recaps. But, until now, I'd never actually given blogging a try.

So, with more than a little tech help from my amazing friend Patrick (forever indebted, seriously), here's my own little site to talk about whatever I want- study abroad adventures included!

So....

After an abnormally quick Winter break, my Dad and I set off for Galway in the beginning of January. After successfully navigating a few minor roadblocks (new place, in the dark, driving on the left, on roads filled with detours due to recent flooding in much of the country... whoops), we made it from the airport in Shannon, into Galway...

Galway City Center (Photo: Ireland.com)

Inside the NUIG quadrangle on orientation day


I'm staying in a student apartment complex outside of the city center. When I was looking for housing before I arrived, I had hoped to be close to Eyre Square- kind of the center of Galway, where many of the local shops, pubs, and restaurants are located. Just my luck, Galway is having it's own sort of housing crisis- Irish students and professionals are struggling to find accommodation, let alone students arriving mid-year for a semester abroad. UMBC people back home- turns out I'm really good at picking schools with housing issues ;)

Luckily, I was able to find my apartment through a last-minute cancellation. The community in our complex makes up for the extra distance from the university and town center. Every resident is an NUIG student, and almost everyone is Irish. My roommate and some of our neighbors didn't hesitate to introduce me to some traditional Irish cuisine....

My first Tayto sandwich- don't let my face fool you, it was actually pretty good!

Apparently, this serves as somewhat of an initiation, and I'm happy to say I passed :)


Our little group has been an amazing help these first few weeks, from helping me find my way around campus, to showing me the best pizza place in Galway. Considering my initial anxiety about being the new American girl in an existing community of students, I've really lucked out.

If you aren't already, follow me on Instagram- the link is in the sidebar, under my about me. Or, just search @ELove428

Coming soon: Classes, my must-have study abroad items, and my recent trip to Connemara and Kylemore Abbey.

XOXO, Emily

You Might Also Like

1 comments